Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Solo Trip Down South


While the team was busy contending the SFU Kremese last weekend, I took a trip down south starting in Raleigh, North Carolina on Friday and ending in Somerville, New Jersey on Monday. The plan was to contest 3 NRC (National Racing Calendar - USA) criteriums, in four days, situated approximately 800km from first venue to last. I was guest riding with Vitesse, a US team, the sole other rider being Nicky Wangsgard, an accomplished sprinter from down south. I wasn't sure what to expect going into the races as it was my first big US race of the year, but I was pleasantly surprised. On Friday night, I soon became comfortable in the pack and took a go at an attack - the big teams weren't all that interested and let me go - unfortunately no one was interested and I hung out in front by myself for a couple of laps and then was reeled in. While it didn't really seem like much, being able to be aggressive let me get my feet underneath me and really set the tone for a successful weekend of racing. As the race wound down I was feeling the heat (36 degrees + every day - which is REALLY hot when the race I did the weekend before finished in 11 degrees and pissing rain!) and when they called a "gambler's prime" with one to go, I decided to go for it. Unfortunately I was taken at the line by Catherine Powers (Aaron's Furniture Professional Cycling Team), but it positioned me well (albeit at a heart rate of 203) for the final lap where I just held on for dear life and finished in 12th position - but Nicky got 3rd!
Immediately after the race we jumped in the van for a 6 hour excusion up to Baltimore ending at 3am- lovely city by the way...wouldn't recommend walking around after dark.... Our race on Saturday was a large loop through a city park that didn't really boast corners so much as two chicanes and a 100m short incline to the finish line. Cheerwine was firing on all cylinders after a 1,2 placing the day before by Laura Van Guilder and Kelly Benjamin, but there were numerous other big teams in contention as 90 girls took to the line. The race was again aggressive without anything threatening getting away - mostly as the course did not lend itself to that type of racing. About halfway through a prime was called and as we rounded the final turn I could feel that the enthusiasm was a little lacklustre. I drew even with the front of the pack and realized that no one was watching me, so I decided to go for it. Again, it was Catherine Powers of Aarons that challenged me for the prime, but this time I took the better of her - at the time I wasn't sure what the prime was for - but I am now the owner of Aveda hair products...so that was fun! After the prime, four of us distanced ourselves from the pack being myself, Catherine, Sarah Uhl (Cheerwine) and a Targettraining rider - the numbers were decent and I thought we might have a chance. Unfortunately I was also cooked from the sprint and we were gobbled up pretty quick. Coming through with one lap to go, I was in great position - about 5th wheel in a strung out pack. As we rounded the bend to the bottom of the course you could hear the mass confusion of the leadout trains desperately trying to get organized. Nothing seemed to work and the pack swarmed with about 800m to go. I tried to keep my cool and followed wheels through the chicane (although one cantankerous lady decided to push me into the gravel - on purpose - with abou 400m to go). My experience from the lap earlier told me that the right hand side of the sprint would open up so I followed wheels and in fact the road did open up and I sprinted home to 8th place. Van Guilder took the win ahead of Kate Bates (current World Points Race Champion - T-Mobile) and Theresa Cliff-Ryan (current US crit Champ - Verducci Breakaway).
Going into the final day - the Tour of Somerville - I was pretty happy with how things had been going. I was excited for another day of fun racing and it didn't disappoint. In the early stages, I found myself out front in a small group contesting primes. I wasn't there necessarily on purpose, but I followed wheels and ended up out front. On the first one I was outgunned, but I ended up taking a mid-point prime (I found out later it was a points prime...) which allowed me to become acquainted with the LONG (800m) finishing straight. Things continued to be aggressive with another 90 girls showing up to race on the US holiday Monday and with 3 laps to go, I decided to sit in and rest up the legs. On the final lap, the field started to get antsy. I knew that it was going to be a finish of patience, but I was happy to be in front of a small crash that occured about 900m out from the finish about 3/4 of the way back in the pack. As we came onto the final straight I was trying to fight for a wheel, but apparently not being all the successful as my friend Kelly Benjamin (Cheerwine) very kindly suggested to me that I might want to find a wheel. I followed her up to the front and quickly moved behind the front girl in the Colavita train as to stay on the outside of the pack. With about 300m to go I heard "Go Jenny" from behind assuming that it was Nicky wanting me to lead her out. I jumped and got on top of the gear. I looked over to my left and could see Kate Bates out of the corner of my eye just before Cliff-Ryan shot by. I stood up to punch it again in a bigger gear and sadly enough was waiting for people to come by. To my left I could see that Bates wasn't really taking any ground out of me and when I passed the crosswalk about 10m from the finish, I couldn't believe that I was still out in the wind. I crossed the line in pure amazement - I had just podiumed at an NRC! After spinning around for about half a lap with wide eyes muttering things to myself, things started to register - unfortunately I needed to be at the airport ASAP! I politely asked the podium people to get it done as fast as possible and went to pack up my bicycle. The podium was super cool and I'm still waiting to get pictures...
The whole experience was great - as you might be able to tell by my lack of ability to make this concise. It was really great to see what we are doing is preparing for the next level. I really do feel that I was able to better read the race due to the way that we have been racing and without a doubt the fitness that I've gained has been invaluable as well. The only thing missing on Monday was my team! I wish that you all could have been down there to celebrate with me - this team ROCKS! Thanks for all your support girls - I mean it when I say I couldn't have done it without you!

No comments: