Monday, May 28, 2007

BC Cup #3 SFU

Another BC Cup race under our belts! This was a great course, spectator friendly, a couple of good climbs and a nice descent that was just long enough to allow the stragglers to catch back on. Unfortunately Team Giant didn't have there best race due to some sickness and unexpected asthma attacks, however, we still managed to give it our all and took third spot on the podium. The race started with a neutral descent which kept the group all together before the climbing began. I (Leah) set a steady pace the first lap trying to test out the field and see who had their climbing legs. Most of the pack stayed together. It wasn't until the next lap that the group was shattered. Claire attacked on the second lap up the climb and Leah Goldstein and Allison Testroete chased her down forming a gap from the main group. Unfortunately, I wasn't positioned very well and got boxed in as I watched the two girls get away. Claire came back into the chase pack and I started to chase the two girls down. Unfortunately, everyone else seemed to be happy to sit on my wheel and let me do all the work. Finally, two girls decided to start to take a pull, but it was too late. Leah Goldstein was out of sight, however, Allison fell back into the chase pack that included me and Claire. I made a couple of attempts to initiate a break, however, the descent kept bringing people back together. On the last lap, the group was somewhat diminished and my main competitors, Allison and Marnie, were at my side as we were closely approaching the finish line. Thanks to Jeremy, I was given directions up the last short climb towards the finish line. I was out front and feeling confident that second was in the bag, however, Allison came shooting past me at the line and left me to take third. It was a learning experience at its best, next time I will remember to shift to the BIG RING!!! Overall, it was a good race and a good learning experience. I am very excited for next weekend- Provincials!!! The Giant girls will be out in good form and ready to do what they do best- RACE!

No comments: