Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Enumclaw RR

The final stage of the weekend featured a road race that topped off the teams success from the crit. The course included one 3 km climb that we rode each of the 4 laps, and one hot spot sprint for points. The nature of an omnium race based on points required us to grab as many points as possible, which included keeping as many Giant girls up at the front until the sprint second lap. Jenelle was feeling sick so she decided to go from the gun as hard as possible, and put us in a great position to watch the other riders work at the front, while she managed to get 55 seconds away from the pack. The pace up the first climb was high, where we eventually caught Jenelle, and our newly found crit rider, GC contender Leah easily matched the fastest riders over the climb. The team worked hard to bring it back together in order to keep our sprinters in contention for the valuable points. Unfortunatly there was a slight mistake in the direction of the course, which I would like to add the T-Mobile womens' team made a wrong turn in stage 2 (Team TT) of Tour de l'Aude this year, mistakes happen. Leah and myself ended up at the front only to watch Stacy Spencer and Kelly Murden sprint for the points. I had a small moment of feeling very small (figuratively speaking of course), and as though there was nothing I could have done other than watch these two sprinters ride much faster than I was. I was relieved to see the group back together and find the Giant sprinters back with us where upon I was motivated once again, someday perhaps i'll be able to sprint, i'm still working on it. The next time up the hill the tempo picked up and one again Leah was able to match the pace of Leah Goldstien (Symmetrics), Alison Testrote (Expresscopy), and Suz Weldon (Wines of Washington) and these girls slipped away from the bunch. Suz Weldon eventually returned to the main group and left the 3 woman break to take up the podium. Leah finished 3rd. The rest of the race continued with relitively little action other than being neutralized a few times for the men...The pace up the climbs split up the group a bit, but everyone was brought back together for a final sprint finish. I did what I like to do near the end, go to the front and hammer, keep my fingers crossed that no one attacks and that I see Jenny fly by me on the way to a victory. Claire was there keeping the pace high and marking riders. We rode the final kilo, speed picking up, and went into the last corner with 200 m to go, wide open sprint, and Jenny beat out Laura Brown and Kelly Murden for the bunch sprint which put her in 3rd. I ended up 10th and Claire 12th.
Overall, successful with a lot more to learn, and in the right direction.
The final note...it was pooring rain and I have a GIANT bruise on my hip and elbow from my less than elegant crit crash.

No comments: