Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Sunday of Pain and Success

After spending Saturday racing in Victoria in the sun I was a little worried about how i was going to be feeling for the Future Heros Crit on Sunday. My warm up was slow and my legs felt very tired and heavy. Jenelle and I were the only two Giant riders at the race and for the first time we were out numbered by a few other teams. I was hoping that i would get my legs to come around during the race so i opted to sit near the front and try opening up the legs a little by closing down some of the early attacks. Jenelle and i switched covering everything that tried to go up the road and when the prime lap rolled around we found ourselves in the perfect position. Jenelle took the prime and as soon as she rolled across the line i counter attacked and took Stephanie with me. Our break didn't last long, which was the theme of the rest of the race with a few more attempts by a few other riders to get away. When it became clear that it was going to be a bunch sprint i started thinking about where i wanted to position myself for that final sprint. There was a significant head wind so i knew that it would have to be left very late. Coming around the final corner Stephanie started to take it long and i sat on her wheel with Stacey Spencer right on my wheel. With 50m to go i started to come around Steph and took my first win of the season. It felt great!

No comments: