Monday, July 16, 2007

Criterium: White Rock

The first criterium kicked off in sunny White Rock on Saturday evening. Being a new member of the team I felt quite nervous. However the experience of all the other girls quickly calmed me down and gave me the security I needed. I have to say I was feeling like a rock star rolling up to the start line with the screaming fans, the radio in my ear, and not to mention the sweet kit.

The race consisted of 30 laps, with 4 corners and a small hill each time around. With riders making consecutive attacks the pace was fast and the hill was taking it’s toll on the riders. At 18 laps to go one girl escaped. It was Rushlee Buchanan from the kiwi team, Jazz Apple. With the main pack not committed to chasing her down, she maintained a 30 second lead for the remainder of the race and won. Unfortunately after massive attacks made by the Giant girls earlier in the race, no one had the legs for the final sprint.
The race didn’t go according to plan and the team was disappointed. But this is only the beginning. And hopefully next time my rock star radio will actually be working.

No comments: