Saturday, July 21, 2007

Coming Together

At the Giro di Burnaby, it all came together - almost... After a number of team efforts that were almost there - Thursday night was a race of beauty for the Giant team. We were constant aggressors of the race - although we did not succeed in breaking up the pack over the 20 laps of the 1.85km course. The race was fast and the weather held for us to have a dry one as we ripped around the streets in Burnaby.
I, for one, found it very cool that they were able to shut down Hastings Street for a number of blocks to showcase the sport of cycling. I'm very familiar with that stretch of road as it lies between my house and the Burnaby Velodrome - so to be able to race on it was very cool. The highlight of my evening was going after a $200 prime against Gina Grain (expresscopy.com). It came down to a bike throw between the two of us, but I came up victorious by 0.004s - they had to go to the finish camera and it took half a lap to determine the winner - I didn't even find out until we were in the tent at the end of the race!
Despite a fantabulous race - we have yet to get the finish dialed in. We were however given a clinic by the Jazz Apple squad on how to do a lead out. With 1 to go the whole team got to the front and strung it out - I was moving up, but didn't realize it was the final lap until I was well around the final corner. Luckily I was well positioned, and was able to come across the line in 4th with Lisa hot on my heels in 5th. The top three were a repeat from the previous night's field sprint with Shelley Olds (PROMAN/Paradigm) topping the podium, Malindills Mclean (Jazz Apple) in second and Grain in 3rd. I want a Giant rider on the podium here at Superweek! This weekend is our time to shine :P

No comments: