Sunday, July 29, 2007

Back to the Track at the FSA Grand Prix

After a good stint at BC Superweek, I headed down solo to Seattle this weekend to check out some track racing and start getting ready for Track Nationals which are to be held in Dieppe, New Brunswick at the beginning of September. We had a bit of an adventure getting down to the States as the border proved to be a lengthy obstacle, but we did eventually make it down to the Group Health (Marymoor) Velodrome in time.
My first (and only) race for Friday night was a 40 lap points race with point sprints every 5 laps. I started off strong, but I kept making silly mistakes and despite seeming to hold my own well on the sprints, I ended up 7th. This was partly due to tactical error on my part as for some reason I seem to have forgotten how to race on the funny oval tracks-like things, but it was also that there were a number of rather speedy sprinter types hanging around including a girl I met in Australia a few years ago. It was funny to run into two girls that I had met on the other side of the world, but as they are super good people, it was nice to see them. The racing wrapped up around 12:30am and we were nicely settled into our beds by 2am....I don't know if I remember the last time I was up until 2am! Luckily we didn't start the next session until 7pm the following evening.
Session 2 promised fun in the form of the miss-and-out to be followed by a 20 lap scratch race. For those unfamiliar with track racing, a miss-and-out is where they eliminate the final rider across the line each lap until only 3 riders remain - then the three riders sprint it out for top honours. I was impressed at the size of the women's field - coming it at 17 competitors, which made for a longer race. I enjoy the event, and the level of skill in the women's pack was high - which was neat to see. There were a few girls who were being a little unnecessarily rough (in my opinion), but that may have been a slight miscalculation on their part as getting pushed around doesn't intimidate me so much as anger me...regardless, I was happy to make it down to the final three with two Australian compatriots - Laura McCaughy and Monique Hanley. Unfortunately for me, they both bested me to the line and I picked up 3rd.
Going into the final race - the scratch race, I was hoping that the girls would be aggressive over the 20 lap race. The organizers had sweetened the pot by offering $3 for the first across the line each lap and $2 for the second placed rider. I tried to exercise a bit of patience to start off, but about 7 laps in Annette Hansen took off and it appeared that no one was going to chase her. I bridged the small gap as I felt Annette would be a good breakaway buddy. Soon enough we were working well together and it looked like the pack was going to let us get away. Unfortunately Laura McCaughy and Erica Allar (both of Salamandar Racing) were not keen on letting us go and they bridged up to us with about 7 laps to go. On the same lap as they made contact the announcer called a $15 prime for the first across the line. Since we had the top sprinter in the field out front with us, I wasn't interested in keeping the break going and so I went for the prime and took it. Shortly thereafter the remainder of the field caught up and from then on in it was a sit and wait for the end type of race. I was keeping my eye on the super-sprinter and with 1.5 laps to go I was positioned really well. Unfortunately with 1 to go I let myself get boxed in and I was at the mercy of those around me as to when the sprint was to start. Once the speed picked up, I was out and around, but it was too late as there was only 100m remaining to the line. I came close to the podium, but my earlier breakaway companion nipped me by a few inches to take 3rd behind the duo from Salamader Racing.
Overall it was a great weekend. It was nice to spend a little time outside and see the sun (although today was supposed to be my beach day and I woke up this morning to RAIN again). It was particularly good for me to become reaquainted with the track and the subtleties that aren't as present on the road. I'm looking forward to a bit of a rest - but I'm stoked to head up to Kelowna with the team this weekend for Fantastic 4!

No comments: