Monday, April 30, 2007

BC Cup #2 Race the Ridge

Well, we now have two BC Cup races under our belt and our team still has the leader's jersey. The road race on Saturday was the kind of course you could see on a World Cup circuit, it was extremely tough both physically and mentally. The race started out with the sun shining so I knew things were looking up for BC racing. The race started out at a moderate pace set by Trek and Symmetrics. The group stayed together nicely as a cohesive unit for about half a lap, and then came "the Wall." Leah Goldstein from Symmetrics was up front setting a solid pace with Marni Hambledon (Symmetrics) tight to her wheel, following her was Allison Testroete (Expresscopy.com), and following her was Jenny Trew (Giant), and after weaving my way through the pack, I was following Jenny. As the hill became more gradual, Symmetrics continued to drive the pace and Allison started to open a gap. I decided to come around Allison and jumped on Marni's wheel. Unfortunately, Jenny was unable to get on and missed out by a pedal stroke- Next time Jenny, next time!!! Then the fun began for me (Leah Guloien), Leah Goldstein continued to drive the pace on the flats and made sure I was taking equal amounts of pulls as her as Marni sat on my wheel. Eventually, I could no longer respond to her attacks and soon enough she was out of sight leaving Marni and I behind. For the remainer of the race, Marni and I worked together holding off the chase group that consisted of about 8 girls including Jenny Trew (Giant) and my good friend Jeananne McKirdy (Rocky Mountain Bicycles). As the finish line neared, Marni was on my wheel and I started to slow down the pace in hopes she would come around me so I could jump on her wheel. Soon enough, she jumped around me and I got on her wheel but in the end I was unable get her at the line. Needless to say, Symmetrics placed 1, 2 and I took third. On the other hand, our team sprinter, Jenny Trew, walked away from the pack in a group sprint and took fourth. Overall, it was a successful day for the Giant girls taking 3rd and fourth.

No comments: