Monday, June 30, 2008

Banff Stage Race

Three Giant Girls and one guest rider headed down to Banff for some good competition and a fun road trip. I started the weekend off with slightly lack luster time trial. I didn't feel 100% all weekend, in fact it was a bit of a struggle. But I kept it together, making an attack in the crit which stuck for the majority of the race and my three teammates putting in a great finish to seal our reputation as being an aggressive crit team. I had numerous people coming up to me after the race saying it was great fun to watch because there were attacks and chases and counter attacks. That was fun, I was still suffering though! The morning of the road race there was pouring rain. It was an early morning after a really late crit. The course was 4 laps with 3 significant climbs per lap. The selection was made relatively early. There were eight riders in the break, two pros, Lisa and I as well as two Total Restoration riders. The pace was hard on the climbs and the flats with Tara Whitten driving the pace on the flat and Julie Beveridge on the hills. Again I was not feeling well at the start of the race but climbing well. On the third lap I knew I needed something to eat, but after looking in my jersey I realized I didn't have anything. I made it up the last big climb and thought it would be okay. But my legs seized up a bit on the shorter steeper climb and I thought I was going to stop dead in my tracks on the last kicker! I ended up 6th in the road race, which bumped me up to 4th overall in the GC. All in all it was a fun weekend. I was able to bring my daughter to the race who made friends with everyone in Banff!! A big thank you to Laura's parents as well as the girls on the team, who made it easy to have Scarlett on the trip. Stay tuned for some upcoming crits and then Superweek!!

No comments: