Wednesday, June 11, 2008

PA- hot child in the city... of philly(+40 C)

I am spending the month of June in Pennsylvania, in a place called Kutztown. Last week I raced a series or three races called the Commerce Bank Triple Crown.
The first of the three was a 25 mile, 25 lap criterium race in downtown Allentown. I knew the race was going to be fast, and with a short little hill in the course, I needed to focus. So I focused, and finished 20th place and first under 23 rider of the day.
Two days later the second of the three, another 25 mile, 15 lap, 8 corners per lap criterium race in downtown Reading. And with the pavement being so rough, it felt like you were pressing the ejector seat button every 5 seconds, I knew this one was going to be a tough one too. It was fast and I finished a consistent 20th place again, and 3rd under 23 rider of the day.
The final of the three was the Philadelphia Liberty Classic. A 94km road race, 4 laps, 4 time up the infamous Manayank Wall, and one sprint finish. It started fast, we averaged over 41 kph for the first lap, and kept cruisin'. At the start of the third lap I bridged myself across to a break of 8 riders or so, but it didn't seem like the right mix for anyone so we were caught before the fourth lap started by about 30 riders. The fourth time up the Manayunk Wall a few riders opened up a gap and it kept on growing. I had a pretty good feeling we would catch them, so within the last 5km I jumped on the back of a lead out train that would take me right to the finish. In the last kilometer or so we caught all riders in the break but one(the eventual winner finished a mere 6 seconds in front) I saw another U23 rider ahead of me, so I pushed hard and went blazing by her. Then there was the sprint finish. I crossed the line in 9th and first under 23.

No comments: