Sunday, March 25, 2007

Western Canada Games Victoria Training Camp March 2007

So I have never had a professional massage, not even a good pretend one... Well.. that is until last Friday. I had worked really hard last week. Mach chicken to be exact. Hill repeats, V02 max tests, LSD, you know.. the regular overload week. When it got to the weekend, my back was in so much pain that I could hardly walk erectly. When my mom and I got to my grandparents, and they saw how much pain I was in, they showed me the most magic chair EVER. It’s called a Niagra Chair. It vibrates and has this rolly thing that goes up and down your back creating a massage. It also has built in heating pads to heat your sore spots. I probably laid in that chair for a grand total of about 3 hours that day.

On Saturday, Chelsea and I departed from Langely moments after completing our third Spring Series race. Staggering towards the car drenched, I couldn’t keep from smiling. We had both worked really hard in the race and despite the horrible weather and competitive male field, we had both finished in good positions.

The wind shield wipers were on full as we drove down the highway towards the Tsawwassen ferry terminal. Pulling into the ferry terminal 10 minutes after it’s departure was kind of a bummer, but it gave us a good opportunity to test one another's patience. I did homework for 4-ish hours and she watched The Matrix on her IPod.

Saturday night was my first experience in a Thrifty Foods. Personally, I think its kind of over rated. I mean, it’s a good grocery store, don’t get my wrong. But there are definitely others just as good! I was fortunate enough to be given a bed at my friend Kjersten’s house for the camp. Before going to sleep Saturday night, we watched Borat...pretty big gong show!

Sunday morning I woke up late...7:30am. Out of sorts, I made some oatmeal and yogurt, did some socials homework, and then set out on my Sunday recovery ride. Not knowing Victoria, I found a pretty round about route to UVic. I later took the bus up to meet a friend and it took all of 10 minutes including stops.. I rode for like an hour and a half before I could find it. That evening my brothers girlfriend brought me to a yoga class downtown. It was WEIRDDDD. We only did 6 poses in the entire hour and a half class, and the whole time the instructor was going off about some war going on inside me. I fell asleep in the mediation part, and then ate a muffin she brought in her picnic basket...can you say hippy!!

I was so excited Monday morning to finally start the camp. Kjersten and I left her house WAY to early and arrived at the hostel with an hour to spare. We ended up sitting inside and getting cold instead of chilling at her house warm and NOT in spandex. Our ride was AMAZINGLY FUN. It was only a recovery ride, but everyone got to meet everyone and it’s quite amusing riding in a pack with mountain bikers.

Tuesday was the first day of serious intensity. Our first test was a hill climb. The conditions were ridiculous, but then again, what's not in cycling?! The hill was 10 minutes long, with a 10% grade. Personally, I didn’t have the greatest trial. We sat around too long before our start, so when I actually got on the hill my feet were so cold that they felt like they were breaking off when I stood up or moved them at all. Chelsea was amazing though, she freekin' hammered up that hill like no body’s business. I was trying so hard to catch her, but that “grr” just wasn’t enough. The next test was a team time trial. Chelsea and I both shined in that test (if I do say so myself). Chelsea, Steve and I dropped the rest of our group and had a sufficient pace line going. We put the hammer down for the entire 6 km loop and caught the group in front of us. I was so proud of the Giant Girls!

Wednesday was a mix of intensity and recovery. We rode out in a pack focusing our energy on a good tempo. When we got out to.....?..... We started our individual time trial. Our starting positions were based on Tuesday’s results, and therefore I was to start second to last of the girls. I was feeling good that day. I flew down the road, my heart rate never dropping below 199. Personally, I find it really hard to time trial. Coming from a discipline of the sport where if you want a break, you hammer for a little while, and then you are safe to take one to not being able to ever break is hard and weird. Basically, I scare myself into riding harder. I tell myself I’m loosing and then I tend to ride faster and faster. It’s hard for me to keep motivated though, sometimes breaks just seem sooo good! We rode back pretty slowly and I dinged out 10 minutes before the hostel so I could go for another ride with my friends Sophie and Brooke. We had SO much fun, but when I got back I was CRAZYYY tired. I had put about 7 hours in the bike seat including a little race...lets just say I slept well that night.

All in all, I had a blast in Victoria! Thanks for being such a great friend and team mate Chels, it means a lot to me to have someone I can always count on!

Hill climb result Victoria training camp March 2007



1 Chelsea Bilsbarrow 11:54
2 Katherine Short 12:33
3 Kjersten Lone 14:27
4 Rachel Canning 14:30
5 Lauren Hughes 15:20
6 Micayla Gatto 15:53
7 Camille Nonis 16:05
8 Kyla Geisbrecht 16:45



1 Owen Harrison 9:16
2 Matt Potma 9:36
3 Jeff Clarkson 9:45
4 Graeme Bant 9:52
5 Evan Flater 10:05
6 Jason Manning 10:17
7 Cody Campbell 10:18
8 Sean Stanhope 10:24
9 Mike Rothengatter 10:27
10 Hans Froese 10:32
11 Tyler Allison 10:33
12 Ellis Jordon 10:38
13 Kevin Thorpe 10:40
14 Evan Guthrie 10:47
15 Erik Mulder 10:50
16 Jesse Horn 10:52
17 Sebastion Sleep 10:58
18 Kurtis Vallee 11:08
19 Nicholas Bird 11:24
20 Corey Hess 11:30
21 Philip Cairns 11:43

Time Trial result Victoria training camp March 2007

1 Katherine Short 14:11
2 Chelsea Bilsbarrow 14:16
3 Kjersten Lone 14:17
4 Rachel Canning 15:13
5 Micayla Gatto 15:16
6 Kyla Geisbrecht 15:27
7 Lauren Hughes 15:42
8 Camille Nonis 15:48

1 Matt Potma 12:32
2 Cody Campbell 12:42
3 Owen Harrison 12:51
4 Kevin Thorpe 13:07
4 Graeme Bant 13:07
6 Jason Manning 13:15
7 Mike Rothengatter 13:18
8 Erik Mulder 13:45
9 Evan Guthrie 13:49
10 Jesse Horn 13:50
11 Hans Froese 13:52
12 Ellis Jordon 13:58
13 Sean Stanhope 14:00
14 Kurtis Vallee 14:10
14 Corey Hess 14:10
16 Nicholas Bird 14:14
17 Philip Cairns 14:18
18 Tyler Allison 14:20
19 Sebastion Sleep 14:32

No comments: